I'm excited that my kickstarter is finished and I was able to raise what I needed to get this new kiln up and running. I started taking down the wood kiln a couple weeks ago, trying to sort what was reusable and what wasn't as I took it down.
Look at those gaps!
Above the grates there was getting gnarly! I tried to save the bagwall to use as a classy lawn ornament but it was just too heavy to move.
Not much left.
I snapped chalklines for the kiln and laid down a layer of self-leveling compound so that the foundation was perfectly flat and level.
Today I laid up the concrete blocks for the foundation and layer of cement board on top so that I start with a perfectly flat area to lay brick.
Here is the kiln shed, my studio is just to the right. I'm going to put a metal roof on it once I get the stack through the roof.
Well, that's all for now. I'm hoping to start laying the floor of the kiln tomorrow, I also need to go track down a brick saw. I started loosely planning this project almost a year ago so it feels good to see it start coming together.