Saturday, June 6, 2009

productive morning.

I've had a fairly productive morning/early afternoon. I made a bunch of dinner plates and some soup bowls. I saw 2 soup bowls left in the showroom so I may need to make some more. There are some mugs back there under plastic waiting for handles(I sound like Keith!)

I'm going to make some lidded jars tonight based on some of these. I really like the guys on the left. They sort of have an early 80's Randy Johnston feel to them.

The painting prof. is in Europe teaching an art dept. study abroad program so I took over some tables in her classroom to stain & finish my treadle wheel parts. The painting class
room has the best ventilation and the least amount of dust. I've finished the majority of the wheel with Formby's Tung Oil Finish which is actually not tung oil but a varnish that attempts to replicate the look of tung oil without all the hassles. It is a long process, it requires several coats to build up a finish but oh baby is it a sweet surface! Beats out polyurethane by a long shot! The exterior of the pan is tung oil and the interior and rim are finished with Epifanes Marine Varnish. Funny enough this last months issue of Fine Woodworking had a review of how well outdoor varishes held up to moisture and weather, Epifianes was the best by a long shot. Fortunate for me as I had no idea what was the best to use. It's fairly expensive but I think will be worth it in the long run. It's certainly far cheaper than a copper or zinc liner.

Tomorrow is my wife and I's 1st wedding anniversary so I don't know if I'll get into the studio or not. We had our celebration last night but I imagine we'll spend some good time together tomorrow as well.

Time for a late lunch, thanks for stopping by.

6 comments:

Tracey Broome said...

That's some beautiful woodworking!
1st anniversary? Ha, try twenty four! We celebrated on June 1, next year is the big 'ol 25, wow! Congrats, the 1st is the best.Did you save your wedding cake in the freezer? Someone told us to do that and we did, ate it with champagne on our first anniversary, it tasted like
dog shit:) but it was a nice sentiment, we took pictures of us eating it, funny!

Peter said...

Happy 1st wedding anniversary! That wheel is looking so beautiful that I imagine you will be grinning ear to ear whenever you use it.

treadlehead said...

Hi Brandon-
good to see that you're making yourself a treadle- I am slowly acquainting myself with my blogging community- pleased to meet you! I write under treadlehead.blogspot.com, if you're interested.

I made my own treadle quite a few years ago, when I lived in Linda C's neighborhood. I can't imagine that you began this project without anyone to turn to for advice, but if by chance you have an odd question, there is a possibility that I could offer my experience in it--
(pine will be light and not hold momentum as well as a hardwood. Linda's is made of oak. I opted for a slightly lighter version in oak and cherry. )

looks like you got the circle jig on the router figured out- nice job!


all the best-
Careen Stoll

brandon phillips said...

tracey- we didn't have cake, we had cupcakes from this killer place in austin and we didn't save any. we're going to have donuts this morning and sit out under the trees where we got married...across the street from out house.

careen-i'm one of those guys that likes to figure things out so the wheel was a nice project for me. i really wanted to do the flywheel in some other wood but the budget didn't allow. my plan was to do another one some time down the road. for now i think if it doesn't have good enough momentum i'll drill holes in the bottom and put in weights. i think i'm ok with the low momentum though...it throws the pots off a bit and i like that look. thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

looks like the wheel is coming together... i guy called me the other day and said he knew where they were giving away a ton of heartpine from this old building(locally). i had to turn it down but it was difficult.

brandon phillips said...

man...i wish i was closer so i could snatch it up. there is a building downtown next to my wife's gallery that has like 16 foot ceilings with a flat roof. the roof joists are 25 foot+ long 4x16's...i'm guessing pine though it was common to build with hickory and oak here back in the day. i'd do just about anything to get my hands on some beams like that...though i don't know what i'd do with them.