Wednesday, December 16, 2009

wet clay in december?!

I'm up at the university firing the gas kiln. I had several students who waited until the last week to finish glazing their work so here I am firing them(the work, not the students.)

Here is an idea I've had in my head for awhile. Finally the other day I had a free half-hour and threw these and then today I altered the rims and cut the feet. I kinda like them, but you must be careful because altering can be a slippery slope and before you know it you're a vessel maker instead of a potter.


Closeup.


20 mugs...and I need to make more. I only have a dozen or so left!


I usually make pots in multiples but I decided to make the wet chuck for the bowls above into a pot. Crank the heat and you can handle it in two hours.


Well, that's all for now. Check out my etsy shop if you need some sweet woodfired pottery, there are still plenty of nice pieces there. Mugs have been popular so I may put a few more up later in the week.
Cheers!

5 comments:

Mike Barber said...

"before you know it you're a vessel maker instead of a potter"

I love it!

-Mike

Jerry said...

Loving those altered bowls. Just cut & dart the rim? Nice.

The chuck pitcher is a also a great pot. I always do like your popped on handles.

cindy shake said...

be careful... I think you'd make a great vessel maker as you do a potter :o)

SunShine said...

Hello Brandon! I am excited as I just received your beautiful yunomi! I love it!! Thank you! Have a wonderful Christmas! Jewels : )

klineola said...

Oh, no! I guess academia is having it's influence on you. :-)

But I think they reflect your direct approach to clay. Nice stuff!