This is the wheel I've been pretty much exclusively throwing on for the last few months. It's an OLD Thomas Stuart kickwheel. None of the students have taken a liking to it so I've claimed it. The height is different than the lockerbies and forces one to work with a little bit better posture, which is just an added bonus. I've really grown quite fond of it and hopefully can find a way to take it with me when I leave here(legally of course), whenever that may be.
I have my advanced students working on thrown & altered pieces so I've decided to take up the assignment as well. I make it a point to work out in the classroom with them because it seems to help them grow and mature a little faster and it forces me to try things I normally wouldn't. So here are some square-ish teapots I made. The body is made as a cylinder with no bottom or top and pushed into a square shape, then slabs were added to the bottom and top on the two on the left. The lids and galleries were made seperate, squared and then added. The spouts are round but are cut and pieced together to give a nice edge so that they work with the piece better. These are very time consuming and I don't know if I'll make them again any time soon. I like the finished results but unless I can find a faster way to make/assemble them I won't be able to put them in my standard production. The one on the left is easily my favorite, with the one on the right being least-that lid just doesn't work, but you have to try things. Well, back to work.