Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Reduce.

I don't have too much to report. I just finished getting my clay out of the racks, so I have about 550# to get through. I'm having a really hard time getting motivated, I want to fire the rest of my work but it has to wait, grrrrr....

Last week I went through the studio and got all the odd pieces of bisqueware that had been sitting around for various reasons and glazed them. I had a bunch of larger bowls intended for the salt kiln but because of the warping we've been having I held them back. So I glazed about 40 pots, they'll help fill the kiln loads for my students(aren't I just a nice guy?) as well as help clean out the studio.

These were made for my amber glaze but why not shino? I like them.


The best part about this shino is it pinholes like crazy, especially over roughed up turned areas.


Ame and 442. The 442 was a tad thick I guess, that's a lot of pooling in the bottom.


This is 442 over crackle slip. I've used crackle slip here and there for the last couple years. The downside to this stuff is that it only crackles real intensely for a couple hours after you mix it. I save the leftovers and use it anyways. It still has a faint crackle on the thrown surface.


And it still crackles nicely over a roughened up surface.


Shino cap jar. This was intended for shino, I turn the whole surface so it will pinhole and get kind of gnarled up like that.


Foot detail.


Ame cap jar.


Just when you think you have your glazes under control they come back to bite you. Bummer.


Cheers!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Glazed lids must be like the flu. I haven't had a lid glazed shut in months and now I get one.

FetishGhost said...

Nice...Love that foot.

MattyT said...

can you share the recipe for your Ame glaze?

brandon phillips said...

you'd like that wouldn't you matty? i'm not an open source potter, haha. i will point you in the right direction though: it is approximately 1/3 wood ash with an addition of 10% yellow ochre, the rest you'll have to figure out. if you study up on ash glazes and find out what makes them work then start messing around with glaze formulas i bet you can get pretty darn close.

teach a man to fish...;)

cookingwithgas said...

Love the jars! and those wood ash glazes love to bite!

Tracey Broome said...

sh sh sh shino. love those pinholes!!
This comment from a girl that was bitching about them in her temmoku last year ha!

Ron said...

Nice. I'm wanting to fire some reduction now.

Unknown said...

Brandon, are you selling the Shino Cap Jar?

I love that

brandon phillips said...

yes it's for sale, $35 + shipping. Email me your address and I can figure the shipping. brandon(at)supportyourlocalpotter.com

Mr. Young said...

Really like the cap jars! Especially that footed one...